The Town Hall and its Monumental Ramp
Next to St Peter’s Cathedral, the Hôtel de Ville is an architectural masterpiece of the 15th century.
For 500 years, this structure has been the centre of Geneva’s political and international life. Its walls have witnessed some of history’s most important moments.
In the heart of the city, the Town Hall is the seat of government of the Canton and Republic of Geneva. In the building’s Alabama Room, an 1872 international arbitration court ended a conflict between the United States of America and Great Britain. The first Geneva Convention, the founding act of the International Red Cross in 1864, was signed here. Today visitors walk up the cobbled spiral staircase to the upper floors, which our forefathers climbed on horseback!
Abrir o mapa
Rue de l'Hôtel-de-Ville 2 - 1204 Genève