2017 was the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. It provided us with the opportunity to talk about sustainability within the Meetings Industry. The Geneva Convention Bureau feels concerned about this topic and is working with its different partners to make Geneva a more sustainable business tourism destination for your event.
Moreover, the Convention Bureau is working closely with other departments in Geneva Tourism. The Tourist Information Centre, which welcomes and informs visitors travelling to Geneva has noticeably introduced several measures relating to sustainable development, starting with becoming fully digital and drastically reducing paper distribution.
Furthermore, 2 to 3-hour long environmental guided tours are offered to visitors. These visits aim to showcase Geneva as a green and sustainable city. The tours are also available for local residents, giving them a different perspective on their own city.
Finally, Geneva Tourism hires young people with little or no professional experience each year to act as “Tourist Angels” in Geneva. Their mission is to inform tourists visiting Geneva and to answer their questions. Among these new recruits, one unemployed person joins the team every year.
The following tips will enable you to reduce the impact of an event while potentially saving a little money!
• Reduce your carbon footprint: Reduce travel distances and use public transport when you have to travel
• Think local: Use local suppliers when possible
• Eat local: Think about local and seasonal products
• Select an eco-responsible conference centre
• Select an ecological hotel
• Avoid using paper and save the forest! Instead, focus on new technologies.